March 17, 2011

St Patricks day 2011... Edmonton edition

Hello Everyone,

Today is one of the greatest days of the year St Patricks day. Now here in Alberta it is way less cool than the good old days at Western so I decided to compensate with some breakfast treats.

First up is the mint chocolate smoothie

Mint Chocolate Smoothie

Ingredients:
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 banana
- water (or milk)
- mint extract
- Chocolate chips
- ice cubes

Directions:
- add, spinach, and banana and liquid until about half of the high of the contents into blender... blend until smooth
- add a few drops of mint extract and fill up with ice... blend until smooth
- add chocolate chips and enjoy.

Yes, one of the main ingredients is spinach... it is wonderful.. trust me.

Also there were no fresh banana's so I used one from the freezer. I "defrosted" it in the microwave and ended up squeezing it out of the peel much like Andre does in his method two of how to eat a banana.


I think peppermint extract is my new fave. Do not fret, if you don't have any the spinach banana combo is delicious on its own... sounds a bit crazy... but it is good. Sometimes I add chia or flax for a bit more of a nutritional kick.

Beer? Spinach? Why not both?
(On a side note this awesome shirt was gifted to me by Sara. It is epic!)


Next up, green pancakes, and you may or may not have guessed that there is no food colouring involved. I used Bisquick mix and (extremely) loosely followed the pancake directions... replacing the water it called for with 1 cup of pureed spinach and 1 cup of Guinness.

Who doesn't like beer in their pancakes?

A work in progress.. for some reason I like small pancakes better than big ones... maybe its because I can eat more of them that way.

Devin showing off his master flipping skills.

A modification on Irish Car Bombs...we didn't have any whiskey so we used Irish cream. I dub it the Irish Pipe Bomb!

Happy St Patricks Day Everyone!

Cheers,
-Kirsten

5 comments:

  1. Peppermint extract is seriously minty. I used it once instead of creme de menthe in a grasshopper pie. It was tragic, and toothpaste-like, since I for some reason was stupid, and didn't clue into the whole mintiness(peppermint extract) >>>>> mintiness(creme de methe) fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sasha... and you call yourself a chemist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't an irish car bomb supposed to be with irish cream?
    i like it!
    i spent my St. Patty's day at work, and being all professional. No one even noticed that I was wearing green, and it made me really miss being a student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought an Irish car bomb was with the Irish cream too, but apparently it is the Irish cram mixed with Whisky.

    ReplyDelete