March 24, 2011

Ethnic food?... Part 1: My tribute to Brent (and other hungarians)

Hello world,

I have failed at blogging. The excuse: I had laser eye surgery a few weeks ago and was instructed to not look at screens for too long. Plus I work at a computer all day at work, so I couldn't really go one when I got home.

Soo...I decided to do a little tribute for my next few posts. It's going to about what happens when an Itallian tries to make food of different ethnicities.

Part 1 is going to be about Goulash and Spätzle!!

It was my mom's idea to make some Hungarian food. She was inspired by a Hungarian family friend, who is an amazing cook and always makes us wonderful things. My mom was at his house, and started looking through cookbooks, and the next night she decided to try one.

The "Goulash" (which I later realized was actually chicken paprikash) was cooked in our new pressure cooker.
"Goulash Mix"

Ingredients:

boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
12 oz. sour cream 
chicken broth 
1 onion, chopped
Hungarian paprika (which is way better than regular paprika)
"Goulash Mix" (which is more paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram, and onion power i think)garlic  
salt
black pepper

Directions:
Basically, put everything except for the sour cream in the pressure cooker and let it cook for a while, till the onions have "melted" and the chicken is cooked. Then, as it is cooling a little, add the sour cream and mix it in.

We just bought a package of Spätzle (didn't want to get too overzealous for our first time) and we made a side of brussels sprouts (which are actually my favorite vegetable)

"Chicken Paprikash"







No comments:

Post a Comment