March 3, 2011

Liquid Diet

Hello!

I have been MIA in the blog-o-sphere for a while. I got a nasty bug over reading week and had no voice! In my opinion it is the worst week to get sick, but at least I didn't have to teach like that.

This was just the perfect excuse to make soup! I wanted something easy on the throat but also have some nutrition hidden in there somewhere (queue dirty jokes).

Broccoli, Potato, Leek, Chickpea Soup

Ingredients:
- 2 leeks
- 2 bushles of broccoli
- 1 can of chick peas
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups soup broth
-season to taste with Cayenne pepper

Directions:
- In a pot saute leeks in olive oil until tender
- add cubed potatoes and cook for 5 minutes
- cover with soup broth and boil until potatoes are cooked (~30 min)
- add broccoli and chick peas and boil for 5 minutes
- use immersion blender to puree the soup until there are no chunks left.
Sauteed leeks with potatoes added

Everything in the pot before the immersion blender made an appearance.
(I couldn't wait for the steam to calm down hence the poor quality picture)
The finished product.
Please note this was a huge batch of soup, you might want to adjust according to your needs.


What is your favourite sick food? I really like Liptons chicken noodle, but I am pretty sure it is just a huge pile of salt.

2 comments:

  1. Huzzah!! More Leeks, also I had the leekiest dinner of my life a trivia the other day. Chicken leek and ham pot pie, accompanied by mashed potatoes with leeks in them, and leeks on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEEKS!
    I made a verison of this this week but I pulverized dried white kidney beans and added them, and there wasn't room for potatoes. It was the thickest soup EVER. I am unsure how I feel about the new version but it sure does up your bean intake.
    I miss trivia! :( even though I am the worst at it.

    ReplyDelete