March 9, 2011

Falafel O-clock

Hello everyone,

Veg for lent update:
Tuesday night I broke the news to my roommates that I was going veg for lent. Their initial reaction was anything except supportive, it involved comments such as "DON'T DO IT" and "I am going to fry everything in bacon fat". Needless to say it was a bit discouraging, however this afternoon my roommate stopped by and asked if I would be home for dinner to know if it should be Kirsten friendly or not. I was shocked/ very impressed after last nights little freak-out. Who knows what will happen in the next 40 days (although I am pretty sure lent is longer than 40 days so 45 days?)

ANYWAYS... back to the important stuff.
This recipe is inspired by some falafel chips my roommates brought home from planet organic. They were corn chips seasoned like falafel and possibly
containing some chickpea flour. They were delicious. I am not sure if you guys know this... but I am a big falafel fan.

Falafel Crackers

Ingredients:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried chili (optional)
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt (preferably coarse sea salt)

Directions:
- Pre-heat oven two 375
- in bowl mix chickpea flour, water and oil
- in mortar and pestle grind seasoning (except sesame seeds and salt) until it is a fine powder
- mix in the seasonings
- pour into cookie sheet and spread evenly (this can be done on parchment paper but it wasn't a problem without it)
- top with sesame seeds and salt
- bake for 20 minutes, at this point take them out and cut into square bite sized pieces
- bake for another 10-20 minutes (depending on thickness), the outer ones should be completely crispy and the thicker ones should be close to drying out.
- remove from oven, let cool, and serve
The Batter
The finished product... or what is left of it.


Happy crunching,
-Kirsten



No comments:

Post a Comment