February 8, 2011

Montreal Madness

Hello all,

In an effort to avoid further grocery shopping, I went off to Montreal last weekend. I took the train in Canada for the first time which was a pretty interesting, the train ride up was pretty uneventful. Upon arrival I found the nearest diner and picked up a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Now as we all know, pastrami is beef that has been smoked to make a tender meat, and Corned beef is beef that has been pickled, and Montreal smoked meat has had both and is delicious.

I met up with my friend Caitlin who lives there and we had a good wander and skate around town, and had a couple bowls of Chocolate Chaud (yes you can get it bowl sized with a spoon) and a dessert crepe. After our mid-afternoon snack we headed home to make some delicious Turkey chili. See recipe:

Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
1lb ground turkey
1 can white kidney beans
1 can red kidney beans
2 cooking onions
1 large red pepper
1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 handful of carrots (chopped)
Chili powder
red pepper flakes
Cheese to garnish

Directions:
In LARGE pot, brown turkey in a little oil. Add onions cook until translucent. Drain bean juice from cans, Add everything else to pot. Let simmer 20-30 minutes. Taste. Add more chili powder or S&P to taste. Put cheese on top. add more cheese. Enjoy.

So after feasting on delicious chili we decided to bake some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I used my moms secret recipe unfortunately I can't post it here because I signed an NDA. (maybe later if you are lucky).

The next morning we grabbed a quick bite to eat from the local marche/boulangerie which was quite tasty and I headed down town to catch my train home. The train home was a little more interesting as I sat beside an Art history prof who specialized in Chinese art. I shared my cookies and we had some good conversations on the way home.

Until next time.... Groceries

2 comments:

  1. Anything to get out of grocery shopping eh?
    lol...That Turkey Chili sounds amazing. I think I might make some chili this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was your first time on a train! CRAZY!!!
    I am in a chili cook-off next week in the Department and I am going to make a vegetarian chili... we will see how it ends up.

    ReplyDelete