February 14, 2011

Burning with Love

HELLO!

Today is Chili Cook off day!!! There was a great turn out, 13 chilis were entered! My favourite chili was medium heat and had chocolate in it! There were hot dogs sold there so I made an awesome chili dog. There were three super hot entries, one of them made two people run out of the room, I was not brave enough to give them a try.

I was one of two people to enter a vegetarian chili. I meant to turn on the slow cooker over night but turns out the blender was plugged in, so it was a bit runnier than I would have liked but still tasty.

Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients:

-1 can red kidney beans
- 1/2 can white kidney beans (the other half was used for something else...)
- 3/4 cup dried chick peas
- 3/4 cup dried black beans
-1 onion
-6 cloves of garlic
-1 jalepeno peppers (with seeds)
-2 cerano peppers (with seeds)
-2 carrots
-2 celery stalks
-1 can of tomatoes
-1 can of tomato paste
-2 cups of soup stock
-4 tbsp chili powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp cayenne
-2 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tbsp cocoa powder
-1 tsp dry mustard
-1 tsp vinegar

Directions:

-cover dried beans in water and boil for ~ 1 hour or until beans are soft (you may need to top up the water depending on how much you added)
-saute diced onion until translucent, add garlic and diced peppers and saute for another 5 minutes. You can go further, but they get a lot hotter.
-combine everything in a pot, add the soup stock last. I added this because the chili was super super thick and I wanted to have it crock potting all night and I didn't want the chili to dry out, it's your call.
-heat up all of said ingredients in said pot and ENJOY!


And here is a very attractive picture of the almost empty chili pot... I really need to work on this picture taking thing.





Later this week... white kidney bean cookies!!!!


Happy Valentines Day,
-Kirsten


Also just for fun....


2 comments:

  1. That chilli looks amazing! I personally love the spicy chilli, so i totally would have braved it.
    I am a little hesitant about the chocolate in chilli idea though...

    Also, lolz to the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pictures, who is the handsome dude with the spiked hair? Also you chili sounds pretty delicious... for a vegetarian option. And chili chocolate is an awesome combination.

    ReplyDelete