February 16, 2011

Bean-a-licious


Today I am completely exhausted. I have no idea why, and I brewed the very last batch of Cuba coffee (from our trip this time last year) today. I want to go back to Cuba, who is with me?!

So I taught this morning, the lab is extracting trimyristin from nutmeg. It is a pretty decent lab, it just involves refluxing for 20 mintues and then recrystallizing the product. One of my kids asked me if they could get high off of their product--
this reminded me of Andre. I looked it up: we were not extracting the good stuff. The best part is that it smelled like nutmeg, which made me want to drink rum and egg nog. Also I looked up recipes for egg nog this christmas...it was bad! I don't want to make it, I just want to be in ignorant bliss when it comes to what I am drinking in this particular case.

Okay so this post has nothing to do with egg nog, or cuba, or teaching, or coffee... it is about Beans! Bean cookies to be exact.
We made these cookies this weekend, the recipe is from Carolyn, one of the Calgary peps. It is a super nice pick-me-up mid day, and pretty much
guilt free (if you sub the flour with more oats). Very healthy! And, if you get the right oats, they could be gluten free, great for those poor kids who can't have gluten.

White Kidney Bean Cookies

Ingredients:

-2 cups of oatmeal
-1 cup of all purpose flour
-1 can of white kidney beans
-1 egg
-1 Tbsp butter
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 Tbsp ground flax
-1/2 Tbsp hemp protein powder (optional)
-1/2 cup white chocolate chips
-1/2 cup walnuts (or any other nuts)
-1/2 cup Crasins

Directions:
-Process oats in food processor until it become a flour consistency. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (oats, flour, sugar, baking soda)
-Put beans into food processor & process until liquid, now add ground flax, vanilla and process
-Mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir in the chocolate chip, crushed walnuts and crasins
-Place on cooking sheet in desired size and shape (these do not melt down when cooked)
-Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.



Et Voyla!



Cheers,
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment