January 19, 2011

My Pot has a Leek in it

So promised in my last post i have a leek adventure for you. So a bit of back story my grandfather is welsh, welsh people eat leeks. So i decided to embrace my welsh heritage and make some leek and potato soup. The leek is a noble vegetable kind of like a green onion except bigger and better.

Pot of leeks and potato
Add Image
I remember back in the summer of 2009 Kirsten and i grew leeks in our garden, a year later i returned to my former house and tried to reclaim our now decently sized leeks so i could bring them to Toronto, fast forward 3 weeks and all transported leek had died due to transplant shock and lack of water.

Leek and potato soup with Fried egg sandwich

Enough about the past, so my sister came over for dinner and i made some leek and potato soup (see recipe section for recipe). To accompany this delicious soup, We had grilled cheese for my sister and due to a cheese shortage i had a fried egg sandwich. A nice thing about this soup is it is low in fat, and due to the creamy texture of the potato combined with the leek you get a nice smooth soup without the addition of cream, milk or cheese (although cheese makes everything better). It was a solid meal and to accompany it we made Chili Chocolate Tea which i had received as a Christmas gift.

Twll dîn pob Sais! iechyd da comrade.

-Brent

P.S. http://www.leekspin.com/

1 comment:

  1. I like the sounds of your soup. I made something similar with broccoli in it. You can never go wrong with fried egg sandwiches, good choice sir.

    ReplyDelete