January 17, 2011

Quinoa Goodness

Every Sunday I try and make enough food for the week, preferably something that won't go bad fast and is still tasty when reheated in a microwave. This week's adventure is with quinoa. Why quinoa you ask? Mostly because I got a bag of it from Costco and because it is delicious and super good for you. I am also pretty sick of eating pasta since that was my easy meal fix all of last year.

Cheesy Quinoa

Ingredients:

-1 cup uncooked quinoa

-1 cup water

-1 large can of diced tomatoes

-2 cloves of minced garlic

- ½ cup shredded cheese

- 2 tsp oregano

- 1 tsp basil

- 1tsp dried chilies

Directions:

Combine can of diced tomatoes, water and spices and bring to a boil. Add 1 cup of quinoa, turn down heat and let simmer until all liquid is absorbed (~20 min). Mix in cheese and enjoy.









Boil the tomato water...








Add quinoa...









CHEESE!!!!! and Enjoy.

This was super easy and delicious! How it worked as left overs? I have no idea. I'm a zombie in the morning and forgot to pack it.

BUT I was at school by 8:15 this morning! I have been trying to get to school early every morning (for me this means 9 am). Even though this is probably no where near as early as you real-job people have to get up, I am still proud. And exhausted by 3pm.

I think this weekend I am going to try and make some sort of afternoon snack for the week too.



2 comments:

  1. First of all, K-Tom you rock with your food blog updates!
    Also...I had Quinoa today tooo, but my mom made it. it was super good, and I will post the recipe soon...
    but I have sucked at updating, because we went to Stratford this weekend (and thus ate things like hero burger rather than cooking)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "pizza" can also be TOPPED! I can't get to it at the moment, but I intend to slap on some pepperoni and ranch dressing--just to make sure I completely cancel out the healthiness and bring it back down to pizza level

    ReplyDelete