January 30, 2011

New Toy!

For Christmas I asked for a crazy blender. My dad had no idea what I was talking about so he threw some money at me. What I would normally do in such a situation it to put all of the cash into the "Die student loan die!" fund and watch it make a negligible dent. The other option here would be to buy a normal not 500$ blender, but thats no fun.

First up the Apple smoothie:

In the mix:
-1 frozen banana
-1 cup of spinach
-1/2 lime
-2 apples (with the core!)
-1 cup of ice cubes
-1/2 cup of water
Before After

I was pleased this was after a few seconds and it was so smooth. I like the texture the apple provided and I also really like the colour the spinach brings (you cannot taste it at all).

Next experiment: Larabar mimics

These bars have a really short ingredient list consisting of dates, some sort of nut and some flavour. Devin requested something fruity so I made a lime one for him and chocolate mint for me!

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup cashews
-1/2 cup almonds
-7 dates
-for the lime flavour I added the zest of 1 lime
-for the chocolate mint I added 1 Tbs of cocoa and 1/2 tsp mint extract
process the nuts until powdery, stop before it becomes nut butter.

Pit and add the dates, these remind me of The Dancing California Raisins I just want to dress them up like Mr. Potato Head and have them dance around the kitchen.

And add in your flavour!

On the left is the dough when it is done, on the right is the dough rolled into snack size balls for easy snacks on the go.

The are so tasty!

What is your favourite on the go snack?

-Kirsten

2 comments:

  1. Those snack balls look delicious!
    My favorite on the go snack is definitely apple slices and peanut butter.
    You should try to add apple and peanut butter to that blender you have and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% of consumer reviews agree: the lime are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete