January 23, 2011

Quinoa, and VietThai goodness (two separate meals though)

Hi Everyone!

I have been awful at this 'keeping in touch through food' thing... but I am going to catch up.

A few weeks ago my mom went to a lunch with a bunch of the ladies from the neighborhood (kind of like desperate housewives, only not desperate), and they had this vegan from the local hot yoga place cook for them. It was one of those hippy "love your body and mind" sort of things, but my mom came home with an amazing recipe. I will call it quinoa sweet potato salad, due to lack of creativity on my part.

Basically, you cook Quinoa the usual way. Then you cube some sweet potatoes and parsnips and cook them (steam, or fry, or bake... whatever you want really). Then you cut up some kale, and when the parsnips/ potatoes are almost done, you add the kale. When it is all cooked, you add it with the quinoa and add salad dressing. We used creamy poppy seed dressing, because that is what we had, but I think almost anything would work. (If you are actually a vegan, make sure you use vegan dressing). The recipe was supposed to be with cole slaw dressing, but we improvised! It was delicious, colorful, and healthy! (i took a picture on my phone, but I forgot to upload it, so I will do that later)  

I decided that I am going to be the worst at sharing recipes, because everything is so hand wavy with me. My recipes will be all "add this if you want.... or don't... "


On to the Viet Thai food....

Yesterday me and a few friends went to a restaurant in China Town! it was viet-thai cuisine. I ordered the grilled chicken vermicelli bowl (but i forgot to take a picture). It was HUGEEEEEE. The entire bowl was full of noodles, lettuce, bean sprouts, and peanuts, and they gave me two full pieces of chicken (with the  bones still in). Despite the deliciousness of it, I'm not sure if I would order it again. Eating full chicken chunks with chop sticks is HARD to do.


....I just re-read this post and realized the only words I emphasized were huge and hard. oops. 

More Soon!

-Sara

2 comments:

  1. I also had viet thai food last night... trippy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad sounds tasty. I still haven't found a good viet thai place to go to here yet :(

    ReplyDelete