February 8, 2011

Superbowl Goodnesssss

So, as we all know, Sunday was the Superbowl. Many people enjoy it for the sport, but I personally just love the food that comes along with it.  I made 2 delectable dishes: beef in mushroom red wine sauce sliders, and a stadium full of guacamole.

The Guac stadium was so much fun to make. I used pepperettes and toothpicks to make the field goal posts and mini players. The players helmets were black (for the steelers) and green (for the pakcers) olives. I made guac by blending avacados, lemon juice, lime juice, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then I got lazy and used the Tostidos brand salsa and cheese dip. I used long bread rolls cut up to make the “stands” and secured them in place with more tooth picks. I think the best way to understand what I am saying is just to enjoy the photo below.

ABOVE: Stadium before it was transported from R Hill to Ingersoll                                                              RIGHT: Stadium after it was transported (and eaten a little)

For the sliders,  (left), I diced, then sautéed, brown button mushrooms and red onion. I added a little red wine, and cooked till it got thick. I mixed the mushrooms and onions with ground beef, and rolled them into little patties. I fried the patties, and poured the rest of the red wine sauce over top, and let it bake on really low heat for a while (mostly to keep it warm). Then I threw the patties between a bun with a slice of havarti (and I kept a few cheese free for all the lactards out there...). They were actually pretty delicious.





Some honourable mentions from the party were Tori's food. She made one for each team. Beer and Cheese soup for Green Bay, and sandwiches with meat, french fried, and cole slaw for Pittsburgh. (I had a picture with the Cole Slaw on the sandwiches, but I can't find it)

Also points go to Erin for the tastiest Steelers Cupcakes I have ever had:


Ryan's ribs were delicious. I was too full to have any of his chili this year, but if it was anything like last years, I definitely missed out! All in all, it was a great superbowl (even though the Steelers lost, and I lost the toonie bet!)

2 comments: